PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ANZAC Day. Not aviation but military.
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2023, 13:59
Nugget90

Received 38 Likes on 5 Posts
ANZAC Day in London 2023

This morning I was on parade before the Cenotaph in London, as I always try to do on ANZAC Day, to honour and remember those who served alongside me in No 36 Squadron RAAF in the mid 1960s - and especially those who later died in training aircraft accidents.

The weather was dry, thankfully, and sunny but with a chilly wind. This year the event was managed by New Zealand and the first wreath was laid by His Royal Highness The Duke of Gloucester followed by their Excellencies the High Commissioners of Australia and New Zealand. As is normal, other wreaths were laid by The Rt Hon James Cleverly MP, Secretary of State for Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Affairs, UK Heads of the Armed Services and senior officers from Australia, New Zealand and India (that also sent many soldiers to fight at Gallipoli).

The Service was brief, yet accompanied by very clearly read passages by two young girls nominated by Australia and New Zealand. Music was provided by the Band of the Grenadier Guards that also provided a trumpeter who performed the Last Post exceptionally clearly. Of course we sang 'O God our help in Ages Past' and the three National Anthems (UK, Australia and New Zealand ) before marching off before a large and appreciative crowd of well-wishers.

Sadly, this year once again there was no Service in Westminster Abbey, this time as preparations were
being made for the Coronation.

On a personal note, the reason I attend these events is to reflect upon the three years I, an RAF pilot, spent in Australia flying A Model Hercules on a co-pilot exchange posting with the RAAF. I flew all around the Pacific Rim, and I remember operating with the most professional pilots, navigators, flight engineers, loadmasters and ground staff at RAAF Base Richmond. I learnt a great deal in my time there, and ANZAC Day helps me to recall that fascinating experience.
The following 3 users liked this post by Nugget90: