PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Daily Mail Trans- Atlantic Air Race 1969
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2023, 03:20
Sotonsean

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jindabyne
The Harriers also did this -----

Great painting one of which I've never seen before.

For information purposes only, the Cunard Line RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 arrived in New York, USA on her maiden westbound transatlantic crossing from Southampton via Cherbourg at 08.00 local time on the 07 May 1969. The RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 departed New York at 16.30 local time the following day on the 08 May 1969 for her maiden eastbound crossing back to Southampton via Cherbourg.

The single Harrier that took part in the race took 6.33 minutes to complete the race which occurred on the 04 May 1969.

The painting is obviously a superimposed version which never occurred in reality, but a great painting non the less.

My late grandfather was on that particular voyage as a Restaurant Manager serving in the vessels Britannia Restaurant. He served with Cunard Line for a total of 51 year's. I personally followed in his footsteps in September 1983 as a fresh faced 18yo and joined the Cunard Line and in particular on-board the Queen Elizabeth 2. I initially joined as a junior waiter and worked my way up to the rank of Purser. My personal association with Cunard Line will mark it's 40th anniversary this coming September.

Also for information purposes only, there is a whole page dedicated to this particular race on Wikipedia which I'm sure will be of interest to those reading this thread.

Last edited by Sotonsean; 25th Apr 2023 at 04:09.