PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - G/A Light Aircraft ditches off Leighton Beach, WA
Old 24th Apr 2023, 09:51
Pinky the pilot
Man Bilong Balus long PNG

Location: Looking forward to returning to Japan soon but in the meantime continuing the never ending search for a bad bottle of Red!
Received 109 Likes on 62 Posts
The Chieftains I used to fly on a casual basis for the old ASA back in the early noughties had fuel guages that were surprisingly accurate!

One one occasion, at the encouragement of some of the Line Pilots I decided to run the 'Auxes' down until an Engine surged. A ferry flight, only me on the A/C. Each engine selected about 15 minutes apart.

At two full needle widths below the empty indication on the guage with my hand on the selector and auxillary pumps on my nerve gave out, and I swapped back to the mains whilst the engine was still running sweetly!

I was assured that the Mains guages were of the same accuracy, but the only way I would trust that statement would have been a calibration done by the LAME's.

On the other hand; Early model Cessna 402's guages were, how shall we say, not as accurate! Especially on low readings.

And we shall leave it there I think!
The following 2 users liked this post by Pinky the pilot: