PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B787 has a case of the drip
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2023, 20:10
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by WideScreen
You intend to refer to the B737 that became a convertible ? I didn't read about that aircraft also physically losing an engine.
The engine didn't physically depart the aircraft. However apparently one engine did shutdown - as I understand it, the 737-200 had a cable actuated fuel shutoff. When the top of the fuselage ripped off, the floor (where the cable run was located) distorted sufficiently that it tripped the fuel shutoff cable.
I certainly don't recall any 737 events where the engine departed the airframe. There of course where the two 747 events where the #3 engine fuse pin failed and as the engine departed it struck the #4 engine causing it to also depart - both freighters (not a complete coincidence). Not as many people know about the first event since only the crew was lost (plus, the engines were lost over the ocean and never recovered - we literally couldn't figure out how they could have lost two engines 'at once'). The El Al event unfortunately hit the apartment building resulting in high death toll, but the engines were found and recovered which revealed what had happened so the root cause could be corrected.