PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - G/A Light Aircraft ditches off Leighton Beach, WA
Old 22nd Apr 2023, 23:43
First_Principal

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts
I was interested in the ABC interview with the pilot (link posted by Thirsty above).

There were two things that struck me; the first being the clear and direct responses to the interviewer by the pilot. Given the recency of the event I was very impressed, and in a perverse way I think she delivered a great advertisement for aviation - not in the least showing presence of mind, the value of her training, and consideration for those on the beach nearby.

The second thing was the description of the engine failure itself. Having had many engine failures (not necessarily in aircraft!) this sounded a lot like a fuel issue, as opposed to catastrophic mechanical failure, or even ignition (although I recognise the possibility [of ignition failure] remains). The pilot has stated there was 60L of fuel remaining, and a more recent report suggests there was some fuel leakage, which leads me to wonder about some form of blockage, or pump failure.

It's seems uncertain if there's going to be an investigation (?) but I'd have thought finding out what happened would be useful. It's been a while since I worked on, or flew, a Cherokee but my recollection is that there's an auxiliary electric pump switched via the panel, and a directional fuel tap to the left lower of the pilot in or near the footwell? I should imagine the pilot switched on the electric pump and/or swapped tanks at the first signs of trouble, but if the one of the pumps had failed in the wrong way (valve stuck shut?), or the primary inlet line blocked somehow, such moves may have been in vain.

Clearly I'm speculating on a possible cause here, it could well have been something completely different. Nevertheless I'd be interested to hear from those with greater or more recent knowledge than me as to likely fuel delivery failure modes, and whether there's anything that might be worthwhile inspecting more closely during regular maintenance or preflight inspections?

FP.
The following 3 users liked this post by First_Principal: