PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Now problems with T31 Frigate costs
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2023, 19:48
tucumseh

Received 175 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Easy Street
Throw in some over-optimistic export projections......
And overseas sales is one of the main criteria for PFI.

On one of my programmes the Prime, who had been foisted on me by a political overrule, never having even bid for the job, confidently predicted over 100 overseas sales. As we owned much of the IPR, we (UK plc) would get substantial Commercial Exploitation income. Their MP, the Minister for Defence Procurement, must have been excited.

Told to PFI the Full Mission Trainer, which would have delayed the ISD for about 3 years, I said 'No' in the overseas sales box on the PFI form. Delivered to time, cost and performance.

The same day, Apache said Yes. It's unclear how many UK standard Apache simulators were sold abroad. I can't recall how late it was, but some years.

Saintsman - Correct. Firm is Fixed, Fixed is Variable. I recall when AMSO went from Fixed to Firm repair contracts. Costs tripled overnight, as did Turn Round Times. Their 'solution' was to declare repairable LRUs consumable, scrap them to save repair costs, and transfer management to the Consumables managers (SM51). Who of course had no money.