PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whitchurch [Bristol] to Lisbon flight duration
Old 20th Apr 2023, 08:01
Jhieminga

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
See my post #35 above. It was common to include a stop at Chivenor as they couldn't take a full load out of Whitchurch. As to whether this was done on the Leslie Howard flight... I will have to check my book later tonight, it might be in there. To be continued.

In addition to the above: I was wrong, the 'Ibis' was attacked on the way back from Lissabon to the UK. It is not clear whether a stop at Chivenor was part of the plan, mention is only made of Whitchurch expecting the flight. There was a strong south-westerly wind so it would be possible for the flight to have been planned non-stop on that occasion. When they switched to night flights after the loss of the 'Ibis', they did still need to include a fuel stop at Chivenor on the UK-Portugal flight. Espinho at Porto was the possible fuel stop on the way back. I found this in 'Sluipvluchten naar Lissabon', Ad van Ommen, 1985.

Last edited by Jhieminga; 20th Apr 2023 at 18:01. Reason: Looked up the details.