PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 Max Recertification Testing - Finally.
Old 19th Apr 2023, 19:38
MechEngr

Received 257 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveReidUK
While much of the above is true, it's hard to see much relevance to the 737.

Round about the same time the 737NG was on the drawing board, I was involved in the initial development of a regional jet (we got as far as making presentations to a whole bunch of airlines before the project was cancelled). One thing that sticks in my mind is just how much of the design work was centred on manufacturability - the processes, techniques and automation that would go into the building of the aircraft.

I stand by my view that trying to retrofit all those manufacturing innovations to a 30-year-old programme would have been a non-starter, and clearly Boeing decided likewise.
My point was - there are a lot of automation advances that could be used that would not be seen by looking at the parts. More automation in part forming and part machining, more automation in hole drilling, More automation in in-line inspection. Manufacturing tools that provide data collection and process feedback. Instead of Bob or Alice having a feel for a properly bucked rivet, the tools detect the acceleration spike that matches when the rivet is properly set and tracks deviations to adjust the process if the rivets are a few PSI higher or lower in yield strength. Even sticky labels with bar codes could be used to track inventory and tools to ensure parts get to the correct locations on time and tools are inspected according to usage rather than calendar date.

All of these cut costs on rework, cut costs on inspection, cut time on the factory floor - most of all, they decrease uncertainty.

No one has redesigned chickens or cows, but farm automation is a huge industry, from the moment they are conceived to the moment they are being shrink-wrapped.