PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forgive my ignorance
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2004, 23:46
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oneday,

All good questions, and not things which I mind discussing in public. It may be getting a little too specific for this thread, because obviously the exact numbers will vary from case to case, but since ballpark figures are useful for anyone considering the option, here goes:

1) £6500
2) 6
3) Most weekends, if I want to. Bookings are done on the internet, purely on a first-come first-served basis, with a maximum of 3 days block booking and a maximum of 2 weeks advanced booking to ensure fairness. Since the group is split quite nicely between retired people, shift workers and 9-5ers, availability tends to be very good
4) A little over 100 hours. (I actually did most of my hour-building before buying the share.) However, others in our group bought in with very few hours. The only rule the group imposes is that if the insurance premium is raised due to your low hours, you have to pay the increase.
5) Yes. We pay a fixed, dry hourly rate which includes all maintenance, as well as a contribution to an engine fund. The price I've given you includes this hourly rate, plus fuel.

The aircraft was built by two guys, who then kept one share each and sold off a further four. I know both of them, since they were both in the group when I joined. One of them has since sold his share, but still helps out with maintenance. In general, maintenance is looked after by the guys who did the building, but we all help out under their supervision

Feel free to ask any more questions you have. Flying this type of aircraft is completely different to the spam-cans which almost everyone does their PPL and hour-building in, and, although probably not relevant when it comes to getting a job, is a fantastic experience.

FFF
----------------