PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF v RN - Falklands
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2023, 09:37
Mogwi

Received 432 Likes on 100 Posts
The relationship between RN and RAF at squadron level was excellent during Corporate. We worked (and slept!) very much as a team and even flew as part of the same attack package on occasions. Where problems occurred, they were caused by the loss of RN expertise in tasking and co-ordinating ground attack missions. This was in turn a result of the wilderness years between F4/Bucc ops and the advent of the SHAR.

To the RN, aircraft are merely another weapon in the ready-use locker, whereas in the RAF they are their raison d’être - a not-so-subtle difference! This was exacerbated by personalities and it was rumoured that the Captain of Hermes was fighting three wars; the first against the RAF, the second against HMS Invincible and the third against the Argentines. We spent a lot of time attempting to ameliorate this, with varying degrees of success.

Where the RN won was in their belief in independent action. The RN pilot had much more flexibility in peacetime, which meant that flying at 50’ was the norm and did not require a special course in Scotland to achieve! Hence our ability to fly comfortably below 20’ on our very first attack mission against a heavily defended airfield and not lose a single aircraft from the team of 12.

As mentioned in Jerry’s book, the GR3s very offered the brown end of the stick and put in harm’s way to protect the SHARs. This was because it was (rightly) assessed that air defence would be critical to the success of the endeavour and the only aircraft that could do that were the 21 SHARs.

Having served in both light and dark blue uniforms, I can honestly say that the only discrimination I suffered was at the hands of the RAF - when I was still light blue but serving with the RN. I was actually told by my desk officer that my glowing Annual Report from the RN after the Falklands would not be considered when I was assessed for promotion, as it was not from a RAF unit. My riposte was short and to the point, which did not enhance my prospects!

Swing the lamp!