PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow Engineering Hangars
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2023, 12:27
MAC 40612

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Concur with the other replies about the hangar being one of the old hangars that were sold to British Eagle. They are in the rough area of where the Virgin Hangar and [what was] the British Midland hangar are located. The last of these old hangars was taken down in the 1990s. Ironically the hangar with the painted out BOAC titles that went to British Eagle ended up going back into BOAC hands when British Eagle folded. One of the ex British Eagle engineers I knew told me of how he was at work ready to start a night shift when news came through that British Eagle had gone under. They were working on a Britannia in the hangar at the time and the foreman told them to pack up all their tools and make sure they took all their belongings as they would not be able to get back in after they went home. My friend was still in the process of packing up all his tools when into the hangar strolled a BOAC foreman from across the road and informed all the guys left in the hangar that BOAC had acquired the hangar and the aircraft inside, so anyone who wanted to work for BOAC was to report back to the hangar the next day to be signed on as BOAC staff, so he never actually finished packing up his tools and went on to work for BOAC and BA for another 25+ years.