PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2023, 11:28
PoppaJo

Received 295 Likes on 124 Posts
Just be careful with LinkedIn. Those degrees are generally connected to a Cadetship or something, especially Rex. Anyone that has AAPA connected to a profile is a Rex cadet. Common across the Rex FO ranks as that is a lever Rex uses to man its fleet.

Not sure degrees are that widespread outside of the Cadet schemes. Aside the cadets I sit next to, the rest are GA. Nobody that I am aware of is ex degree. See my point earlier, in recruitment, it wasn’t something we factored in. It was on some resumes, when we conducted the interview, none of them mentioned it, as they know, nobody cares.

How hard is it to find a GA job? I was under the impression that there was a certain level of demand in this sector.
It’s more a demand for a certain type of pilot the employer is looking for. Let’s take Darwin for
example. To be successful, you need to actually live there, have what they actually want, which generally involves a dozen or so hours in a 206/210, a retractable gear rating, and the right attitude. Last one is probably the most important. Forget IFR/Twin ratings at 200 hours, not important.

Age can play a part. The pool these days is largely early to late twenties, generally somewhere in first to middle range. I was speaking to a GA owner last year, he was after two people, had 50 resumes, they all sat in 20-25 years old range, then he had one random bloke mid 30s, local, ex corporate career, single with no ties. Guess who got the job. Your competition might be someone older who comes from other life. That is why I advise perhaps don’t rush, live life, travel the world, buy a house. Revisit late 20s, you will likely slot into a job easier, your confidence level is chalk and cheese from 20 to 30.
The following users liked this post: