PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The South China Sea's Gathering Storm
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2023, 09:06
m0nkfish

Received 56 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by golder
Going by Macaroon. I can only take him at his word. He said about Taiwan in the SCS "the great risk, [we] gets caught up in crises that are not ours"

They can ignore the others in the Pacific, if they wish. Abandon the existing world order....Does France not even care about, what's left of their Pacific colonies?

@
Sfojimbo, FYI, I didn't report your post.

If China invades Taiwan it will be a problem for everyone, including France. Taiwan is the worlds leading supplier of advanced semiconductors that are essential for the successful functioning of Western economies. But I think Macron is correct in the position he is taking now, the US is busy escalating this issue and seems totally incapable of recognising the geopolitical reality they live in. China is a global super power, and is rapidly approaching the point where it can be a true near peer rival to the US, and there is nothing anyone can do about it now.

I feel people should take a step back and ask themselves why America has suddenly got a big axe to grind with China, and why Taiwan has become such a hot topic. I don't believe America is really interested in respecting the democratic rights of the people of Taiwan. If they did they would at least recognise Taiwan as a country, but they don't. In fact none of the major Western powers acknowledge Taiwan as an independent country, they do not have embassies in Taiwan and Taiwan is not allowed to participate in the majority of the global organisations such as the UN.

This is about the US trying to reassert itself as the dominant global superpower, but the Chinese dragon is now out of the cage and is not going back in again, continuing on this path will lead to a major conflict, if not a World War. So Macron is right not to blindly follow the US, and we should do the same. Engagement and an understanding and respect for our differences would serve us and our children better, the age of empires is meant to be over.
The following 2 users liked this post by m0nkfish: