PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The South China Sea's Gathering Storm
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2023, 13:40
Tartiflette Fan

Received 286 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Sfojimbo
Macron is back from China and is dutifully parroting the message that Xi taught him.

https://www.politico.eu/article/emma...ure-interview/

At least we know that France is consistent, Macron is following de Gaulle's policies perfectly.
The French people must be assured.
That is true. France has always had- in my opinion - a very schizophrenic relationship with America. On the one hand, the popular culture is very much admired and enjoyed - most obviously by those under 30 - yet there are and have always been, large numbers - often the very same individuals - who loudly loathe all aspects of American business and politics. Now I understand that this isn't automatically incompatible, although it's not something I see to this degree in other nations I know well.

I am sure that Zelensky recognises that France is the least supportive of the major euro-nations ( a quick look at support given to Ukraine would illustrate that very clearly ) and whilst he may be happy to shake hands and have meetings to gain more favourable PR, is unlikely to be taking advice from the Élysée, especially when it is linked to a visit to China.