PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tutanota email service blocked
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2023, 13:35
Thirsty

Received 79 Likes on 25 Posts
"I get tooted on the autobahn for going 60Km/h in my Model T Ford in the left lane. Please tell all the drivers not to toot at me" is what I am reading...

I'm sure you got prior warning. Either on their web page, updates to terms and conditions, or a direct email sent to you that is probably sitting in your spam folder. Alternatively, they had incoming traffic of a nasty variety coming from you that they responded to with firm action, cutting you off pronto.

One option: Vote with your wallet! Take your custom elsewhere! You may find another ISP that is willing to let you connect with your old equipment.

Otherwise get with the trend. Your ISP is worried (for very real reasons to do with hackers, compromises, theft, Russian/Ukrainian/North Korean/Chinese malware, etc) that you represent an unacceptable risk to their network by using unsupported, obsolete software with well documented serious security bugs to connect to them. You are not only a risk to yourself, but to others, not just users, but their network infrastructure. Hackers don't care how they get in, and if it is your old equipment and software that gives them a foot in the back door, bad luck to you (and them). You may not realise how serious this is and are loudly braying about it. I would ban you also. Forthwith! This is an act of self preservation on their part.

You may find shortly that government regulation may mean a security official knocking on your door and making you upgrade anyway, and your meagre pension will be sponsored to get new equipment supplied by the government. That scenario may be cheaper than fighting unknown digital terrorists that have attacked your local electricity, hospital, bank and other critical infrastructure, via your old PC and obsolete software.

As suggested, consider other hardware alternatives. An old Windows PC can be re-purposed to run the latest versions of [did I say FREE] Linux which offer the latest versions of browser and email software that have less risk. The learning curve to move from the Apple environment to Linux is not so steep these days, and Linux and MacOS have similar roots in Unix type software anyway, just the icons are usually different...

Originally Posted by le Pingouin
For future planning put aside a few currency units ($, £, €) a week and you'll be well placed to go trawling for a 5 year old iMac on eBay or such every 3 or 4 years.

Changing the browser user-agent string to identify as the latest version of Firefox may work (no guarantee) using something like this add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...tcher-revived/

Change the Firefox on MacOS string to the latest from here: http://www.whatismybrowser.com/guide...-agent/firefox

Test to see if the setting change has taken here: https://www.whatismybrowser.com/dete...my-user-agent/
Tweaking your obsolete and security compromised software to pretend it is the latest version is like pissing in your pants. It feels nice and warm, but your shoes are still wet and smelly. Highest risk suggestion - don't do it!

Last edited by Thirsty; 9th Apr 2023 at 13:50.