PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Next CAS
Thread: Next CAS
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2023, 08:40
mopardave

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Viking
When AVM Mark Green (then AOC 22 Gp) came to RAF Valley in 2010 to talk to everyone about the upcoming SDSR and redundancies he made it clear to us all that his plan was to get rid of the older guys (the QFIs) and spare the students. History will tell us that he didn’t get his way and hundreds of students were made redundant.

What did happen though was a generation of very disgruntled students were born and every QFI there realised that they were entirely expendable. Certainly my mindset changed overnight and I knew I could no trust the organisation that I had invested so much time in.

It is no accident that, shortly afterwards, I left Valley and so started a run of three overseas flying tours in different Air Forces, with a brief return to Valley in between. What I learnt, sadly, was that the only times I felt truly appreciated in my 23 years in the RAF was when I was serving in or alongside a foreign Air Force.

Maybe it’s because I’m a white male but I learned that nobody in the RAF cared if I stayed so I left to ply my trade elsewhere. And this comes from someone who always assumed I would serve until I was 60.

BV
Some people know the price of everything and the value of nothing Bob. Absolutely disgraceful and those at the top wonder where it all went so horribly wrong? I saw the same kind of "progressive and forward thinking" management in the emergency services. Funny how the old dinosaurs also happened to be the "doers"!! We had a VSO who firmly believed that the concept of "morale" was total hokum. He went on to write a book on management practices that espoused this and many other "gems"! Wigston and his ilk do untold damage and have no idea they're doing it!
The following 3 users liked this post by mopardave: