PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Separation issue involving Boeing 737, VH-VXH, and Airbus A320, VH-VGV, near Darwin
Old 9th Apr 2023, 05:34
cLeArIcE

Received 180 Likes on 58 Posts
After many experiences with Darwin ATC, it often runs better as a CTAF. Some controllers at Darwin seem to have no understanding of the profiles required for a large aircraft. Don't Start me on the ones giving 500 instructions in one Radio call either.
But yes the idea that an international airport in Australia is TIBA Evey night during its busy period is a joke.
Not sure what the wind was at the time but, what complicates things is everyone wants to depart on 11 and arrive onto 29. I understand wanting to depart a place like Townsville etc on a SID due to terrain considerations (especially at night or in IMC). But it's hardly necessary in Darwin. If departing 29 follow the noise abatement proc and turn left to intercept track. If departing on 11 just intercept track it's not hard.
If the wind was favouring 11, I feel like the arriving aircraft also has to shoulder some responsibility. The amount of people who will insist on wanting to do the ILS onto 29 against departing traffic just to save 5 mins astounds me.
Just fly the RNP 11 FFS. Get to the hotel 5 mins later who cares?
Where it gets messy is when you have multiple aircraft holding due wx etc.
The following users liked this post: