PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Urgent, please sign this.
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2023, 00:26
Finningley Boy

Received 77 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by ExAscoteer2
Restormal Council were a bunch of See You Next Thursdays 30+ years ago. It seem nothing has changed.

They should never have been allowed to get their hands on Treblezue / St Mawgan in the first place.
For all the difference it made, they actively opposed the basing of F-35s there. From what I could gather first hand at the time, it wasn't a popular move on their part.

Jhieminga,

Just quickly, the VC-10 at CAHC was at Delhi. The crew enjoyed some of the local traditional cuisine the night before flying back to Brize Norton. I may have some of the facts of the story a little mixed as to who did what, however, on route over the Indian Ocean next day, the old Gandhi's revenge launched an attack. Either the skipper or the first officer, got up to pay a visit, and as best as I can recall, Beagle would be able to confirm or deny this, as the chap got up, he flicked the auto pilot switch, apparently positioned overhead, crucially, so I was told, the switch is non-specific. What seems odd is he didn't tell anyone else for some reason. But while he was away, the other jockey couldn't hold on any longer and set off as well, with greater justification, he flicked the auto-pilot, not knowing he was switching off instead of on. By the time it dawned what was going on, the aircraft had started a descent from about FL 390 down passed 10,000'. The aircraft was recovered, naturally. However, another unbelievable element is no one was in communication with any long range air traffic agency, who were trying to contact the crew. The incident couldn't be ignored, I think there was a board of inquiry, but I'm not sure if any Court Martials arose. It's a bit of an unlikely tale, but that's as best as I can recall being told.

FB