PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AirMed PA-31 VH-HJE down south of Archerfield
Old 8th Apr 2023, 22:57
morno

Received 318 Likes on 118 Posts
I can’t be stuffed going through the stats, but let’s just roughly approximate that there has been 4 King Air (200, C90, 350) accidents in the last 30 or so years in Australia (Toowoomba, Mt Gambier, Moomba, Essendon). I say Australia because the majority of King Airs in Australia are commercially operated, a better comparison than putting private pilots in the mix with little recency etc.

Toowoomba was mainly put down to maintenance management and a lack of engine data monitoring (basically every turbine has that now). Mt Gambier could have been any aircraft type, the number of engines appears to be irrelevant in that accident. Moomba was an engine failure followed by mismanagement compounded by bad training. I’ll agree that had it been a single engine turbine, it wouldn’t have occurred (unless the one and only engine failed). Essendon, the verdict is still out on what the exact cause is on that. Plus training was likely to be lacking compared to a modern aeromed environment. Granted, it’s possible that the number of engines played a part in this.

PC-12, I’m scratchy on the number of engine failures that there have been in Australia, Derby definitely, but others I don’t know. Yes they made it back to the field, but that was a lot of good luck!

Had it been over inhospitable terrain, what’s the outcome then? At least in a twin, you feather it and keep going. And it’s that last line that provides more comfort to me. Sure the PC-12 as an example has a great track record, but I certainly don’t want to be the one on the first one to have an engine failure with no options below.

And there’s no doubt lots of cases where a B200/C90/350 has had an engine failure and shut it down and kept going successfully.