PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The deteriorating quality of AIP information
Old 8th Apr 2023, 08:56
parishiltons

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by alphacentauri
Having some experience with the event and airport in question…pretty sure this exact thing has happened every year they run this event. Few years back a local flyer even argued with them over the radio and pointed out that they had their times wrong…

You are correct that the originator is supposed to check, post promulgation, that the NOTAM has been issued correctly. However, if I don’t really know the correct information when I submit the form, I’m probably not knowledgeable enough to detect that its been issued in error.

This establishment of data originators more broadly who have no knowledge of the operating environment that they work in, is the reason for the deterioration in data quality. This is compounded by the fact that Airservices no longer have responsibility for the quality of the data in AIP.

To the mental giants who came up with the CASR175 regulation, what did you think was going to happen when you don’t require any recognised training from the data originators?
So why isn't the AIS outsourced? ICAO requires each State to publish the AIP. In Australia, CASA largely requires Airservices to do the grunt work. Not really part of Airservices' remit, if you look at the Airservices Act. Another hangover from the old DCA days. Just like Airservices still installing and maintaining radio navaids. Either CASA should do the AIP themselves or put it out to tender.