PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL/CPL Training: Ground School topics
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2004, 15:42
Decimal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heli-Ice -

I would understand having to study for quite some period for the ATPL stuff -14 exams (still based around fixed wing!). But I read early in 2003 in Lasors, that there were exam dates for subjects pertaining to CPL(H) - 9 exams in all. When I asked the CAA if I could self study (as there is a wealth of relevant study material out there) and then write the exams - I was refused, told I had to go to an approved theory FTO to get the study packs. But at that time, no-one was doing an approved course - in fact right now no-one has a fully approved course.

SO, the CAA have specific dates for exams, where no-one is allowed to turn up and write the exams - good eh? When asked if they had a syllabus for the course material (as do most other countries) - the CAA replied "No, that is the responsibility of the FTO"

For the majority of work in the UK, an ATPL is not required. Why should you have to write the 14 exams, then find a couple of years later you don`t meet the experience requirement to "unfreeze", and have to write again! Fortunately, the CAA do have plans to introduce "bridging" exams to go from CPL to ATPL in the near future. Too little to late I fear.

I`ll PM you the Norway school - but I would suspect that all of the four main ones will do this.

CyclicRick - I`m not sure about Austria, but Norway`s general English is excellent (compared to our Norwegian!) and the written exams can be in English aswell. Glad to hear your getting yourself sorted with the JAA licence.

I`d like to hear from anyone that has personal experience of this or similar - `cos I don`t think I`m the only one.

Thanks guys

Decimal