PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2023, 12:27
SASless

Received 517 Likes on 215 Posts
Ah yes.....Escravos....what an interesting place and night standby....and an incredibly ill planned evolution.

The over night standby living quarters was grim even by Bristow Bachelor Acommodation Standards at that time.

The food was pretty good as I recall especially as it was a fully catered affair.

As to Night Life...there was none due to two factors....the task was Night Standby....and that there basically was none other than that mentioned earlier by some or a good book.

We flew in late in the afternoon....shut down...dropped our gear in the black mold covered sleeping quarters....grabbed a decent meal....then prayed there would be no call out as at that point in race down hill we were flying clapped out Bell 212's and being told we would fly in the dark during rainy season to airports that were usually closed with no SAR back up or effective Flight Following.

I never served that detail witt the remotest idea I would actually go fly due to having had more than enough heart stopping excitement in the past and thinking risking one life against several was not the way it should be.

Had the system had adequate safeguards with a decent safety standard that would have been a different matter but it was not.

We had Pilots assigned to that duty that had never been to any of the offshore landing sites or the onshore destinations....conducting IMC operations using such a standard seemed to be asking quite a bit from the Crews.

Night Medical Evacuation flights in Nigeria had a reputation of the "Emergency Patient" arriving at the aircraft up right and mobile toting a large suitcase of his pilfered "Chop".

A Bell 412 disappeared one night on one of these Medical Evacuation flights (not from the site being discussed) and was not known to be missing till the receiving hospital called the next morning wanting to know when the aircraft would arrive.

Perhaps NEO or 212 Man can fill in the details about the lost Bell 412 and all of the occupants.

The following users liked this post: