PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Corporate flight departments, UK
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2023, 10:20
Planemike

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Williamson's Diamond Mine TANGANYIKA

This one is not is based in United Kingdom. The mine was situated at Shinyanga in Tanganyika. It was "out in the wilds", well away from the nearest airport with a commercial air service. The mine was a large operation that commenced operations just after the Second World War, although Williamson had found the source of the diamonds before the war. The mine was operated by ex-pat personnel as well as a local labour force. The company operated aircraft to bring in personnel and smaller equipment: the product was also carried. The main route was from the mine to Nairobi in neighbouring Kenya.
Their first aircraft were an Avro Anson VR-TAP and two de Havilland 104 Doves VR-TAN & VR-TBB. Later they operated a pair of Douglas C-47 Dakotas VR-TBJ & VR-TBT. Their final transport aircraft was Douglas DC-4 5H-AAH which operated in the 1960s.
The company operated a flying club for their employees at their own airfield Shinyanga. Over time they had three DHC-! Chipmunks VR-TBE, VR-TBK & VR-TBO. Sadly VR- TBE. was lost in an accident. The company also acquired Bristol 171 Sycamore Mk3 VR-TBS. The intention was to use it for survey work but it was not much used. It was flown out and back to Weston super Mare in a Bristol freighter. The aircraft still exists back in Britain. It was the only helicopter to appear on any of the East African Colonial aircraft registers. Williamsons also operated Cessna 180 VR-TBL & de Havilland DHC-2 Beaver VR-TCB as company hacks....

Last edited by Planemike; 7th Apr 2023 at 20:53.