PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The deteriorating quality of AIP information
Old 6th Apr 2023, 22:45
First_Principal

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts
[rant]

It is my unfortunate experience that local councils are efficient at only one thing - taking money off you. What happens after that is often a complete dog's brekky

In general I don't believe a council could, or should, be entrusted to generate accurate/reliable information about almost any airfield business. To expect your average council officious person to comprehend things like UTC is not reasonable, and certainly not an output I'd trust.

To put it more simply: garbage in, garbage out (or, in the case of councils, we all know the end result of a dog's breakfast!).

[/rant]

That over; to me NOTAM's are something that should be completed by a person who is entirely familiar with aviation, and is qualified to do so. From what I read here it would seem in Oz that there is no qualification necessary, and thus no real bar to incompetence, nor is there any real filtering or adequate checking of the information...

... which lead me to look at things a little further south. I found that two companies seem to be preeminent in the field:

Aeropath (https://www.originators.aeropath.co.nz/)

and

Airways (https://www.ifis.airways.co.nz/)

The latter site is where it seemed a person could log in and generate a notam. In order to do so it seemed necessary to read the 'terms and conditions' here. Said terms included a lot of stuff about website content, who 'you' 'your' 'we' and 'our' meant etc, but there appeared to be no competency requirements for a login, let alone to generate a NOTAM per se.

That said there are NOTAM guidelines here, which seem to require a name and signature, but that seems to be the extent of things down here as well, so I guess it's possible similar issues could occur.

As for the proliferation of 'stuff' in the AIP, I suggest it's all part of modern culture whereby anything inanimate needs an orange cone and everything else needs a shiny yellow jacket. CYA abounds!

FP (who hasn't had his own breakfast yet!).