PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Return to flying after 5 years. Advice?
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2023, 17:14
Alrosa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe R
The grass always seems to be greener on the other side. Working on the ground you can have either decent pay or job security / legal contracts / pensions, but I have not seen a position that offered both. If going for better pay: there is no enjoying benefits or just the time off if your brain is completely consumed by work; there is no such thing as a "legal contract" when the contract states "all overtime is included in the compensation" and you are expected to push 70 hrs per week. Pension: "included in the compensation". Job security: a partner once said to me that I should kick out any team member that does not perform for more than five days. Yes subjective and personal experiences, nevertheless shaping my opinion that a decent flying job might be the better gig in the long run.
I can empathise with that. Having spent a significant part of my life working outside of aviation in an office-based role, I realise how much happier I am flying for a generally decent company. Some of my work colleagues moan about how things have changed since the old days; whilst I sympathise to an extent, the world of work outside of flying can be nasty, brutal and unforgiving - especially if you are chasing an above average salary.