PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spitfire Ace - TV
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2004, 08:59
coolpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tiger moth: I wish i'd heard about this earlier so that i could have applied to be in it!
witchdoctor: I would like to have seen a bit more background leading to the selection (where did they get the poseur with the surf-bum hair and Wham stubble?)

Hi there,

I went along to the selection for this programme in May up at Elstree aerodrome. I got a call at work from the club that my name had been put forward for the selection as I met their criteria (can't recall what they were) and would I agree to go along? So like with a lot of things in flying I suppose, you don't apply, you get invited...

Anyway, I didn't get through

It was quite informal. We were all interviewed in the Cabair building by two young ladies One guy had more hours than C4 would have considered "realistic" for the tyro theme, so he left quite early.

My feelings were similar to what FNG writes in his post. I was excited by the fact that I might get to fly both a spitty and a tiger moth, but in the back of my mind I had the feeling I was on Aviation Big Brother which made me cringe and think why can't it just be normal without the wretched cameras...why won't they just let me and the aeroplanes be so we can spend some time together alone...oh well.

I only found out the whole thing was actually going ahead through someone I met on the day. Apparently there were some problems regarding the RAF and C4 using the Spit. I don't know any of the details though. I missed the programme on Monday but from what I hear it was no big deal. If it was anything like the Dambusters one it was probably a bit of a flop. I'll try and catch it next week and if I have any more thoughts I'll post them here.