PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK CAA ATPL skills test
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2023, 04:25
Kennytheking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 36050100
Is there a specific need to pass an LST on a 'type"?

If, for example, you held an SEP rating on your current ICAO ATPL, would an LST in a UK registered SEP with a UK Examiner be sufficient for a UK ATPL to be issued, albeit with only the SEP rating attached. Adding further types and ratings could then be done through whichever airline you end up with.
The short answer(I believe) is yes and no.....

As part of my "training exempt status", I have to do the LST on a rating that exists on my current ICAO license and the A380 is the only rating I have.

An option would be to ditch the training exemption and go though an ATO - this could well involve doing training on a SEP which I imagine I would need a fair bit of because I haven't flown one for the last 20 years. I'm not sure whether to be excited or terrified at this prospect...

Another option would be a partial CCQ onto a A320 or A350 - up until the LST part(as you mentioned, I don't need the actual rating). As you can see the alternatives are far more complex and expensive than a simple 2 hour sim ride, but I may eventually have to head down one of these routes.