PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Single Engine Missed Approach
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2023, 09:35
Jonty

Received 18 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BraceBrace

However for the 10' limit, the books are also very clear in that it is a hard limit and you shouldn't exceed it unless "to save your ass". And you seem to have a very wide interpretation of that phrase. You seem to interpret this as any other limitation "oh, I know what I'm doing so I can go for 11 minutes, just like a go into overspeed". If that ended up being the case, you f$cked up pretty hard during your preparation as these are very remote situations. If everything is prepared well, you shouldn't end up in this situation.
I haven’t found anywhere in any of the manuals where the 10 mins TOGA limit is deemed more or less limiting than any of the other aircraft limitations. Nowhere does it say “to save your ass”. The 10 min TOGA limit is a limitation, and should be respected as such. I don’t have a “wide” interpretation of that phrase because it doesn’t exist.

What I am saying here is that the 10 min limit can be exceeded, but only in very limited circumstances where it is used to ensure the safety of the aircraft. Yes these are very unlikely situations but if you need it you need it. my example of the gear stuck down and single engine operation (that actually happened to a colleague, fortunately in an A320) would be one such example of where the 10 min limit would be exceeded.

What I find very interesting is that everyone knows the 10 min limit, it says it in the book. What is that limit based on? How long is it before I can use another 10 mins? Does the engine need maintenance action before another 10 min TOGA timing? Is it cumulative over the entire flight? These are all questions that pilots should have answers too. Understand your aircraft. Not just spout the book answer. Anyone can do that.