PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Single Engine Missed Approach
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2023, 08:44
BraceBrace

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonty
Im really not sure why this is controversial.
Just to highlight two very mundane times aircraft limitations cannot be respected. Overspeed during turbulence in the cruise, this happens on a regular basis all over the world. Second would be an overweight landing. There's even a check list for this one!...

But also, if I need to use 11 mins of TOGA to ensure the safety of my aircraft then I'm going to do it. I would hope every pilot would.
Again, these are 2 diffferent cases from a pilot's perspective. The overspeed and also overweight landing when a checklist says "land at nearest suitable airport" end up in techlog entries and at the time deemed necessary end up in maintenance actions and are covered. The overspeed is a nice one. On my aircraft you can go 30 kts into overspeed and maintenance can still sign you off without any inspection. It is unprepared, it happens. Is that a reason to say "oh, what the hell, I'll just let in increase speed, it'll be fine"? No it isn't, it remains a limit. Boeing knows this happens, you are covered. The overweight is one where the situation should justify it and even for the overweight landing, the books explain pretty clear these situations.

However for the 10' limit, the books are also very clear in that it is a hard limit and you shouldn't exceed it unless "to save your ass". And you seem to have a very wide interpretation of that phrase. You seem to interpret this as any other limitation "oh, I know what I'm doing so I can go for 11 minutes, just like a go into overspeed". If that ended up being the case, you f$cked up pretty hard during your preparation as these are very remote situations. If everything is prepared well, you shouldn't end up in this situation.

The background knowledge you have as a pilot is one that should be comforting, so that you feel at ease the engine will help you out as required for 10 minutes. It's can't be a reason to think "with the necessary personal background limitations, I know I can even bend the 10 minutes limitation".

Last edited by BraceBrace; 3rd Apr 2023 at 09:15.