PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Single Engine Missed Approach
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2023, 07:28
Jonty

Received 18 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WhatShortage
That's what the TRE next to me has said when he saw your comment about " respect a limitation where possible". Not worth
Im really not sure why this is controversial.
Just to highlight two very mundane times aircraft limitations cannot be respected. Overspeed during turbulence in the cruise, this happens on a regular basis all over the world. Second would be an overweight landing. There's even a check list for this one! Ive done it at least 3 times after shutting engines down inflight. Wasn't sacked, jailed, or even asked for a "very good explanation". Was thanked for my efforts on every occasion.
Just to go back to the OEI 10 min TOGA limit, should it be respected where possible? Yes, of course it should. And if you have TOGA selected and your EGT is red lining, then you need to keep a VERY close eye on it and 10 mins might be stretching it. But also, if I need to use 11 mins of TOGA to ensure the safety of my aircraft then I'm going to do it. I would hope every pilot would.

Just to reiterate my point.
Have a look at the A321 (CEO, NEO is far worse) gear down OEI performance. It’s a bit of an eye opener, especially at average take off weights. Anything over about 84/85T and you’re on your way down, and that’s vastly better than it used to be on the non sharklet aircraft. In such a situation I might just forego the 10 min TOGA limit if I have to.

Last edited by Jonty; 3rd Apr 2023 at 09:38.