PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - rotor stall in dynamic turn
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2023, 18:06
Rotorbee

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Chr, Crab is absolutely right. Always have enough power margin. Hover checks are a very good tool not to get into trouble. The power charts of every helicopter you fly are holy. Use them. On the other hand, our esteemed crustacea Crab is military trained. In the civilian world, we do not fly tactically. We do not have to rush things because nobody is shooting at us ... normally. We do not know your level of training, but let me tell you this. During all my training up to CFI, I used training material that isn't even close to the truth regarding aerodynamics of the rotor. It is good enough to make you a reasonably save pilot, but when you are interested in these things and dive deeper, you will find, that all that material were "lies to children", because the real thing is so much more complicated, that most of us would have troubles to understand them. It is so complicated that even today, helicopter manufacturers still depend on trial and error and experience what works, without knowing exactly how. Therefore we give students a overview about it and tell them, what to avoid. I am almost certain, that you never heard about dynamic stall in flight school, but to understand the ins and outs of the aerodynamics of a rotor, dynamic stall is essential. Another example would be gyroscopic precision of the rotor. You will find that in many helicopter flying handbooks (Yes FAA, I am looking at you), but that just does not apply to a helicopter rotor, or to be more precise, only in a vacuum. Otherwise every helicopter would have a 90° offset of the controls, but they don't. If you want to know more, I recommend the books from Prouty, Helicopter Aerodynamics, more Helicopter Aerodynamics and even more Helicopter Aerodynamics (Yes, these are the titles) and the books from Shawn Coyle. Yes, Shawns books are expensive, but worth every dime.