PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-3
Thread: Manchester-3
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2023, 17:04
OzzyOzBorn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr Mac - I agree with your take on bussing stands and wouldn't propose them as a long-term solution for long-haul flights. However, during major terminal reconstruction and essential taxiway work-in-progress, I contend that it is preferable to tolerate the inconvenience of bussing temporarily rather than to suspend air services. As long as work is visibly underway to provide contact stands once construction is complete. It can't be done on a "jam tomorrow" basis where tomorrow never comes [Piccadilly Platforms 15 & 16 versus Dinosaur Grayling and HM Treasury springs to mind!]. But we do know that construction of a new pier is the issue at MAN - and that is a very positive development from a long-term perspective. Short term pain for long term gain, worth it in the end. A familiar issue at all major airports, not just MAN.

IIRC, similar issues prevailed in Summer 2019. Back then, I believe that the major carriers took turns to use bussing stands (pre-Pier 1) on an agreed rota basis. Maybe another poster can clarify?