PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Single Engine Missed Approach
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2023, 08:42
Jonty

Received 18 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by k.swiss
Some points to note:
  • 10 minutes TOGA//takeoff-thrust is a hard limit for OEI, you can damage a good engine if you exceed. It is not wise even by a few minutes.
  • If you encounter an engine failure on approach there is no EOSID, you have to follow the missed approach procedure. The question is good one, does it take into account the climb gradient to ensure obstacle clearance?
Rest I agree with you John, great analysis. Great question also from the poster very curious about this one.
I disagree with both those points.

First the 10 min TOGA limit. 3 issues with this really. First, is it 10 mins total? Is 10 mins continuous? If I use 8 mins during the first go around do I only have 2 mins left? Second, it's actually an EGT limit that's been converted to a time limit because us pilots are too stupid to look at the EGT gauge. If I climb to altitude TOGA, MCT, and Climb Thrust are all the same. Does my 10 min limit count now? Thirdly, and this is the most important, if I need it I'm going to use it. 10 min limit or no 10 min limit. However, it's in the manual that it's a 10 min limit, and so it should be respected where possible. But people need a deeper understanding of why the limit is there and what it's secondly trying to achieve, rather than 10 mins and that's it.

The next point I also disagree with. On an SE missed approach you can follow the EOSID, or the EFATO procedure, or the normal missed approach, or even the normal SID, or any combination of the above. YOU are the captain of your aircraft, its safety is YOUR responsibility, not the manuals, not ATCs, not managements, YOURS.

Last edited by Jonty; 2nd Apr 2023 at 09:09.