PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK CAA ATPL skills test
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2023, 05:43
Kennytheking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UK CAA ATPL skills test

Greetings...

I have an unusual problem that I need some advice on.

I hold an ICAO ATPL and am working on a UK ALTP - so far I have completed the theoretical exams and should have the class 1 medical wound up in the next couple of weeks. In order to "convert" my licence, the CAA has given me training exempt status which is basically credit for my previous experience and type rating. Accordingly, I can simply present myself for a skills test without the involvement of an ATO in the UK. I understand that this LST should be on the aircraft type that I am currently rated on which is the A380. According to the CAA website, the LST should be completed on a UK CAA approved FFS and that is where the fight begins.
I been been through as much documentation I can find and despite their comment on their website, it is not substantiated by the legislation. I cannot find any reference that requires the FFS to be UK CAA approved. Furthermore, the LST Examiners Report actualy asks for details of the FFS approval and which state approved it. Now I thought this might just be an oversight from before Brexit but the form is dated in 2021 which suggest that it has been revised in accordance with the new status quo. Does this mean that the UK CAA is open to the LST being completed on an EASA approved sim?

Alternatively if the rules require a UK CAA approved device, would one be able to get an exemption from that requirement, given the lack of resources in the UK(there are only 2 UK approved A380 sims in the world and BA have already told me to PFO.

Any advice appreciated.

k