PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jervis Bay helicopter crash
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2023, 18:13
albatross

Received 156 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by SASless
One occasion on a Huey....in Army flight school during the final phase of training....and two newbie Pilots out doing a Route Recon Mission.

What we experienced was the Collective was very light up...and really hard to move down to the point we did not give much thought to the cyclic forces as the collective was where our focus was.

It required so much force that I had to really cinch down my seatbelt or it would cause me to raise out of the seat.

We returned to Tac-X the Field Training Site and landed to the side of the field set aside for the maintenance operation.

On a 206 I had a collective jam that was at a power setting that would not allow me to land as it was at a power setting a bit above that for hover.

Did a go around and on the second approach used the Throttle to reduce the power sufficiently to make landing possible and did to the parking spot which was in an open area.
One thing was emphasized in training on the 204/205 was not to reduce collective below 35 PSI as it would become very difficult to raise it again.