PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Next CAS
Thread: Next CAS
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2023, 14:41
SLXOwft

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
(Disclaimer: this is very much an outsider's view)

In the late 80's, a wise (then Wing Commander) future AOC 1 Group wrote of the disconnect between junior officers and VSOs in the Royal Air Force and the affect this had on retention of promising leaders. In focussing on pilots he highlighted that unlike future army and navy VSOs they didn't get experience of command, particularly the man management elements, until they achieved squadron command. For those on the path to VSO, their time in these and similar posts is short before promotion to air rank. As a ENGO maybe the new CAS has spent more time in close contact with the rank and file, and will take advantage of this experience that the career paths his pilot and (as Union Jack pointed out, a single navigator in Lord Peach) predecessors couldn't benefit from. I hope that constant expeditionary operations have helped aircrew officers in at least having closer contact with others. I would also hope that in the thirty years following the document referred to above document, the RAF has taken a serious look at what its junior officers need to experience to make successful VSOs and is taking action to implement the findings.

The previous commander of the UK Field Army Ivan Jones as ex- REME and RE was also in origin an engineer. The Army has always looked at and benefited from the fact that its officers have to perform as combined arms commanders on the road to VSO, having years of experience in single arm command roles, starting from day one.

I don't want to prejudge and wish AM Knighton success as CAS. I just hope he has the moral strength to stand up any future political fashions that prevent the Air Force being efficient in performing its primary role.
The following 3 users liked this post by SLXOwft: