PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jervis Bay helicopter crash
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2023, 01:25
megan

Received 433 Likes on 220 Posts
In all the training I received, Oz and USA military and civil it was stressed running landings in single hydraulic 204/205, (dual hydraulic system not a problem because you have one remaining) don't attempt to hover, so never tried, I prefer to follow the manual and what I've been trained to do, realising of course if you're presented with a situation where you have to you do your best, if you bend things then in the doing because you were unable to comply with the manual or training you can hardly be hung out to dry, only 3100 hours in the single hydraulic 204/205. If hovering hydraulics out is so easy why then the emergency procedure as written, even the humble 206 recommends a run on? Test pilot I ain't, I like to follow the manual.

From the Huey manual, bolding at 5 mine.

9-37. Hydraulic Power Failure. Hydraulic power failure will be evident when the force required for control movement increases; a moderate feedback m the controls when moved is felt, and/or the HYD PRESSURE caution light illuminates. Control movements will result m normal helicopter response. In the event of hydraulic power failure:
1. Airspeed - Adjust as necessary to attain the most comfortable level of control movements.
2. HYD CONT circuit breaker - Out. If hydraulic power is not restored:
3. HYD CONT circuit breaker - In.
4. HYD CONT switch - OFF.
5. Land as soon as practicable at an area that will permit a run-on landing with power. Maintain airspeed at or above effective transitional lift until touchdown.