PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA Base Training
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2023, 19:57
Speed_Trim_Fail

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The reason many of us may seem unhelpful and get involved is that we have seen a sea change over the years in our industry where people are literally paying beyond the TR (which you shouldn’t have to pay for anyway) all the way through to paying to sit in the right hand seat. That means our own means to support our families and indeed the route to the flight deck for many less well off cadets becomes ever more challenging and under threat. The airline industry and career is cut throat and brutal enough without adding yet more downward pressure.

I have heard comment (not thankfully at any airline I have worked at) that First Officers should be grateful they are being paid at all, and that was extended to all pilots during Covid. How am I meant to react when my and my colleagues’ livelihood is threatened? You are enabling the absolute worst behaviour of airlines - many of them simply can’t help themselves and in the long run, you damage yourself too. “I just need 500 hours on type”, but why have a 500 hour FO in the RHS being paid when another cadet will simply take their place… when will you have spent enough? A TR and base training is, as a rule, useless on its own.

I wish both of you the absolute best in your careers, but hopefully not to the detriment of fellow aviators and the industry in general.

Last edited by Speed_Trim_Fail; 31st Mar 2023 at 20:18.