PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BEA; the privilege
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2023, 07:29
blind pew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Jhieminga..yes liked that bit…sometimes I make myself a tit too…flew off Bray head a few years ago ..soared for around an hour then getting bored flew the length of the promenade and back only slowly using height then landed near the coffee shop with my wing adjacent to the sea wall.. a middle aged septic came up and I made a facetious comment to what I thought was a stupid question …turned out he had flown attack helicopters and was doing “something” in the American embassy ..turned down a coffee peace offering.
Mike Riley writes about trainees getting a similar overspeed problem in initial training in his stick and rudder book.
KMSS interesting that they stuck some BEA guys in with a Trident panel to follow the flight director…probably the best choice as we were grilled into following it (with consequential reduction of scan).
Liked the handling notes with what more or less amounted to a constant angle approach which I half learnt on the DC9 and refined with a 22 year old CFI mountain flying out of GAP then taught successfully. Basically demonstrating using the patter that you look out at the runway and put the aiming point on a quarter of 22 degrees…45 degrees is half of the angle between the horizon, and bisect that…wish someone had shown me that at hamble as I wouldn’t have failed so many chop tests..three. Remember a technique was putting the runway on a wing rivet.
Trying to drag out the book.