PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BEA; the privilege
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2023, 18:20
KMSS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Discorde
Of course it's the combination of pitch attitude and thrust that determines the vertical path and speed. Not applicable to gliders of course
Continuing this bit of thread drift: Yes, the combination! In my small experience I flew gliders for ~20 years, eventually instructing from beginners to airline pilots doing an add-on rating. I stopped my training in powered aircraft not long after the solo phase but acquaintances with piston & turboprop aircraft would occasionally follow me through on landings.

I always experienced the approach as an inseparable combination of pitch, drag (flaps, spoilers, slips, or props when power is pulled off), power (if available), and ever-changing wind effects - all together creating the approach path (speed and angle) to arrive at the aiming point with just enough energy to flare but not float. At the end, pitch attitude on its own of course becomes very important in the flare.

All in all, a lovely and intuitive energy management exercise! It enabled happy endings whether setting up a low energy off-field landing or a fast and tight circuit after a high speed low pass. I only got confused when, years into flying, I first read of trying to separate the effects of pitch and power (or spoilers) as a "method." Still jams my gears. Somehow I was taught, flew, and then taught others successfully without pulling it apart like that!