PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fate of RAF Scampton
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2023, 09:52
The Oberon

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I do have a dog in the ring as I live in Scampton Village and was based there from 1970 - 80. In addition to the possible asbestos and other problems, nobody seems to have mentioned the abandoned fuel pipelines that crisscross the airfield, as I remember it the original plan was to have a central storage area and a pipe network leading to each pan. It didn't work and bowsers were reintroduced. The network was not decommissioned properly and just abandoned, so, to my way of thinking there is a rusting, fuel contaminated network still nestling beneath the ground.
I do not know how long it lasts but during the Blue Steel days, there were many HTP offloads carried out straight onto the grass. There is also the old SSA.
I am not 100% sure on this next one but I have heard that the men held at Scampton will have had their applications refused and will be awaiting deportation and that the active runway is one of the reasons why Scampton was chosen. I am aware that the runway was refurbished a few years ago but only to allow the Red's hawks to operate, nothing heavier. Standing by to be corrected.