PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gatwick North Terminal
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2023, 10:21
JW95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LGW North Terminal history

Just came across this thread, as I'm currently reading up on the history at LGW. Having been born in the mid 1990s, I'm too young to remember what North Terminal was like prior to the rise of EZY etc at Gatwick. Does anyone have any pictures of the interior of the North Terminal back when when it was first opened? From what I have read, North was always preferred by full service and long haul carriers, as it was quieter, compared to the South Terminal, which housed mostly the LCCs and short haul, at least in the BAA days. However, these days, it seems to have shifted massively since EZY have taken over the majority of the North Terminal and BA are of course now in the South Terminal, and the South seems to be taking on more long haul than North now. I travelled through the North Terminal back in January last year when the South was closed. My first impressions was that the terminal looks extremely dated and tired, compared to the South Terminal, which surprised me, considering that North had been seen as the 'nicer' of the two terminals from a passenger standpoint. So it would be interesting to see some earlier photos to see what it was like before today, if anyone has any?

Also, no doubt BA had little, if any say when it came to the airline moves programme in 2017 that saw it move South. Leaving aside this, would BA have preferred to have remained in the North Terminal? They seem to have made a nice job in the South, in that South = British Airways in a way North wasn't, at least towards the end of their time there.