PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Disgusting Jetstar
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2023, 06:35
Lead Balloon

Received 426 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by Lookleft
In fairness to LB I think this was his answer but his vicarious knowledge of operating in the world of airline ops just does not allow for this:
Operating outside the manuals is only available in an emergency and is explicitly stated in the airline manuals. Go outside the manual because you as an individual don't think it its sensible, wise, whatever will only get you shown the door. LB ask your ATO mate what would be the consequence of your scenario if it was a commercial operation. If you didn't declare a MAYDAY fuel even for two minutes into your reserve then CASA and the airline would be after your head before you left the flight deck.
Hopefully CASA and the airline would taser and arrest you first. After all, you would have deliberately flouted the rules like old mate.

So the safety implications of consuming 2 minutes of final reserve when in a private aircraft in sight of the quiet destination aerodrome in G might be different than for an RPT jet inbound to a busy airport? Crikey. And, in contrast to a MAYDAY from the private aircraft, there could be some response by ATC and others to effectively mitigate the risks of the RPT jet’s fuel state? Struth.

I’ll have to write all that down in my Big Book of Vicariously Gained Knowledge.

As a matter of interest, how many different airlines have you flown for, Lookleft? You das? If for more than one, did all their Ops Manuals impose exactly the same obligations on crew about who deals with passengers who refuse to comply with a direction from CC, and in what way?

I’m wondering whether the Jetstar Ops Manual is written on the basis that when you’re running a cattle class service the passengers deserve to be treated like cattle.