PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wondering What To Do Next (Finished ATPLs)
Old 29th Mar 2023, 05:20
AlwaysWondering

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. I have read every one, and advice from people in the know is always well appreciated.

Originally Posted by paco
There are some who think that you shouldn't go solo for 20-odd hours anyway That aside, I would probably try to find a sensible flight school who won't spin you any BS and take a couple of trips. In that respect, Euro Flight Training would be a good place to start (talk to Ellie O'Toole), but I'm sure there are others. You would have to visit them to see if you like them.
Thanks for this advice Phil. I am super busy at work at the moment with a project, but will definitely reach out.
One thing I forgot to mention is that my license is with AustroControl. I transferred everything because of Brexit and did my ATPLs with Austro. I am also very budget conscious as I am not exactly swimming in money and don't have a bank of mum and dad to dip into if things go south.

Originally Posted by rudestuff
Pull yourself together. You've done 90% of the work but you think 30 is old and you want to give up this close to the end when we're on the cusp of a massive pilot shortage?
Trust me, the ATPL exams are pointless for anything - except perhaps determining if you're 'good enough' - so finish the course, get the job, live the life.
MUCH easier said that done.
The truth is I know several people who started their PPL journey at the same time as me who have now completed everything. More than half of them are still unemployed many months after finishing their CPL-IR and APS.
It's a worry as it is a huge amount of money to invest.
I agree with the other poster too about the shortage always being around the corner. Training companies have been saying it for donkey's years, but we are still yet to see anything like it in Europe for newbies.
Sadly I am not American and the more buoyant US market isn't really accessible.