PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Single Engine Missed Approach
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2023, 21:46
sonicbum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by api
Dear all,

I have a question regarding the missed approach procedure Engine Out. Specifically, when do the thrust levers go from TOGA to MCT.
Say i am coming in for the approach single engine. On the approach plate i learn that the missed approach gradient is a standard 2.5% and go around altitude 3000. I decide i want to follow the standard missed approach instead of a custom EOSID.
What i understand from some airlines i asked: at acceleration altitude (std 1500) the crew levels the aircraft for acceleration and cleaning the drag and once done, continue in open climb and promptly set thrust to MCT.
My reasoning says that once you do all that below missed approach altitude then you no longer can be sure of the approach climb gradient you have calculated in the performance calculations software of your choosing.

Any insights on the matter is most welcome, hopefully with a corresponding page in the FCOM, FCTM, ICAO Doc or a paraphrasing from an OMA. Only then i might be able to talk sense to someone in my company….

p.s.
Any idea where i can find the manual for the Flysmart Landing/Takeoff app?
Cheers
Ref. 8168 chapter 6.1

6.1.2 Phases of missed approach segment

In principle the missed approach segment starts at the MAPt and includes the following three phases (see Figure I-4-6-4):

a) initial phase — begins at the earliest MAPt, and extends until the Start of Climb (SOC);

b) intermediate phase — extends from the SOC to the point where 50 m (164 ft) (Cat H, 40 m (132 ft)) obstacle clearance is first obtained and can be maintained; and

c) final phase — extends to the point at which a new approach, holding or return to en-route flight is initiated. Turns may be carried out during this phase.

Climb gradient in the final phase: The criteria of the intermediate phase apply. (i.e. 2.5% or whatever it is specified)

Bottom line: you will always have to maintain some sort of positive climb gradient up to the go around altitude or at least the MSA. Check Your OM-A Chapter 8 regarding one engine out procedures and look for the requirements set by your company regarding the missed approach OEI. It should tell you what to do and when.