PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing pilot involved in Max testing is indicted in Texas
Old 28th Mar 2023, 02:52
Bbtengineer

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tdracer
The people who create the software are not the ones who define the requirements - in aviation they seldom are even in the same company.
That's why it's so critically important to get the s/w requirements correct.
The requirements did not consider what would happen if MCAS kept trimming the nose down, because it was assumed early in the design process that if the stab trim was doing something the pilots didn't want or understand, they'd turn it off. Hence the classification of inappropriate MCAS activation as only Major - that's what a stab trim malfunction was classified as.
As I noted previously - the entire MCAS mess grew from that flawed assumption that an issue with MCAS was no worse than Major.

I will stop after this but I’m not having it.

Requirements always come from somewhere else. That’s not special.

You don’t take a stupid requirement.

You don’t expect a civil engineer to take a stupid design from an architect. Seldom the same company.

You don’t expect the engine manufacturer to take a dangerous design from the airframe manufacturer. Not the same company.

The fact that it comes from a different place does not relieve your responsibility to understand and interpret it.

There is no universe, regardless ALL the things you said, in which commanding AND indefinitely forever makes sense. It’s fundamentally stupid.

No.