PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gatwick-3
Thread: Gatwick-3
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2023, 21:49
JW95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipness One Foxtrot
BA haven't put a new long haul machine into LGW since G-VIIO/P/R were delivered as DC10 replacements. They also had a handful of late build B744s delivered to LGW via CBG but BA always always do hand me downs. There was talk of new NEOs for LGW and they got ex Wizz Air CEOs instead as Finance said "No". CAPEX is all about LHR, LGW is the poor relation, that's why they can't make money on short haul or regions, the only thing BA "get", is hub and spoke at LHR. And even LGW long haul is crewed by LHR pilots. On one level you're right, but I can't see them spending the money. I'd expect LHR B77Ws in about ten years time to make the trip round the M25....
Yes, LGW has always sadly played out as the poor relation to LHR - however, they have clearly indicated that their focus is on LGW as far as current expansion is concerned, and no doubt they are wary that any scaling back of operations/non-use of slots will serve to only strengthen the position of LCCs at LGW, mainly EZY and to a lesser extent, Wizz. I'm sure that this is the last thing they would want, as this would almost be a replay of when BA began scaling back its operation post 9/11, which of course signalled the beginning of the rise of EZY at LGW.

With regards to the LGW fleet, surely BA will not continue to operate the 772 when they turn 30 years old and beyond that? Surely they will need to come to a fleet replacement decision soon, even if it is a matter of buying far younger, second-hand 77Ws offloaded by Emirates/Etihad for instance?