PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting aircraft - what have you seen on your computer today?
Old 26th Mar 2023, 11:55
CHINOOKER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpringHeeledJack
Ditto. Saw it coming by chance and excitedly went outside in the light rain thinking it might be under the cloud ceiling....It did make itself known audibly which was nice, but not a glimpse was to be had.

Out of interest why has the IL78 gone into Mildenhall when all the others seem to be Waddington bound ?
Hi, not 100% sure, but I believe it’s down to the runway length! Although Waddington has a runway of similar length to Mildenhall it does not have the “over-runs” that Mildenhall does and the IL-78 will probably be at max take off weight on departure!

I know that for a long time, the RAF’s RC-135’s operated out of Mildenhall with a full fuel load, which they couldn’t do out of Waddington. Nowadays, the RAF RC-135’s tend to depart Waddington and then air refuel with Mildenhall KC-135’s before going onward.

Just my assumptions……assume that there will be someone on here that will have more knowledge/insight into the above!