PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jervis Bay helicopter crash
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2023, 11:45
76fan

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
60 envy? When I still fly Lynx, Wessex, Sea King and Gazelle? Don't think so.

Perhaps you have forgotten the feeling of sitting over the water at night above OEI AUM and knowing if a donkey fails you are getting wet (with or without the flot gear).

With all the advances in modern technology, have they invented a helicopter that can't crash yet? Lies, damn lies and statistics never tell the whole story and are relied upon by people who want you do do something risky but feel safer doing it.

Megan - not saying it can't be done and when you had no option it was the only way. But we are in the 21st century now.
Oh dear Crab, you would never have made it in the helicopter ASW role flying Wessex or SeaKings. The ASW Wessex were single engined and I don't ever remember being safe single engine in a SeaKing hover except in a howling gale. We did, however, calculate a SETOW (single engined takeoff weight) for the SeaKing in case ploughing through the water and overpitching to get airborne was a possibility after ditching (something I quickly dismissed when it happened at night to me). I doubt that you would have liked instructing students in wet winching in the piston engined Whirlwind either. Some of us are much older than you and we have all gained experience in different ways, and in more "primitive" types than you have experienced I am sure.