PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 Max Recertification Testing - Finally.
Old 25th Mar 2023, 16:55
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Being an old retired guy, I had the time to read in on every post in PPRuNe's threads (plural). It was a long haul and would take a month . . . or two, to summarise.

Just a few memories to ponder, in no particular order:-

I found what might be the only mention of MCAS in a South American pilot's handbook. Four or five shortened lines on a right hand page. It was found by chance. When I posted it on PPRuNe folk looked at my link, but as I recall, no one had found another reference to MCAS world-wide. (as of back then)

The Ethiopian captain might well have been more affected by the chaos having had minimal and vague explanations of a mysterious system. One thing that would be burning into his brain would have been that the other aircraft crashed. This is not just an idle response to an above post, but something I pursued at length back then. I still doubt that any instruction in that 5 months was equivalent to part of a type rating written.

"it's as though STS is working in reverse". An odd quote - more indicative of the pilot's state of mind than reasoned systems analysis.

That nine second MCAS pitch down run.

After some considerable time, Sully's quote. "That could have claimed me."

My own self-opinionated original thoughts . . . slowly weighed down by the vivid descriptions of chaotic sights and sounds. Memories of how distracting 20 mins of stick-shaker had been for me. Just the stick-shaker, everything else spot on normal. Later, I was astonished at how it had soaked into my brain.

World wide lack of awareness about the Toronto 707 hand cranking - and how close it had been to disaster. And now the 47' horizontal stabilizer has to be cranked by a wheel with a smaller radius. This is not a linear burden.

Not our members of course, but an almost world-wide lack of understanding about losing the Pickle Switch function after switching the two switches that all good pilots would have switched - and doing it in a microsecond.

For weeks on Quora I posted much what I'd learned on PPRuNe. I had to be careful, for some hours there was just me, thousands of hits world wide. Some Boeing skippers let us know how American pilots would have done it. Soon everyone and their uncle was a Boeing MAX instructor. The point of all this is the confusion. I'd take an hour to write a few lines, yet still manage to confuse someone. Good reporting certainly deserved that Pulitzer Prize.